Style Exchange Hickory, NC - bad attitudes!

Wilkesboro, North Carolina 5 comments

Update by user May 18, 2012

I should also mention that availability in some sizes is very limited.There are rarely any plus sizes or very small sizes such as 00 or 0.

Some items are also rare in number such as dresses or skirts but the store has tons of tops to choose from.

They also have a Facebook page in which they post items they have for sale, yet you can never find those items in the store and they take hours to respond to any questions you post about the item still being available.Sometimes they never answer your questions.

Original review posted by user May 18, 2012

Style Exchange is a consignment shop for junior size clothing that is located in Mooresville and Hickory, NC. I have never been to the store in Mooresville but I frequent the Hickory store frequently and I want to give everyone a heads up about the store if you plan to shop there in the future. As I stated, the store is a consignment shop in which you can purchase gently used clothing and sell your own clothing to for store credit or cash. The store also sells and purchases shoes, handbags, accessories, perfume/lotion, books and DVDs.

Many of the items in the store are well priced and are great finds but I would highly discourage selling any of your items to the store and also be careful about what you buy. I have bought two items from this store before, for very great prices as they were name brand, only to find numerous small holes in one item and a tear in the other item once I got home. I couldn't return the items either because the store has a policy in which you can only return items with the store tags attached within 7 days of purchase along with a receipt and you will only get store credit for how much you paid for the item. Selling items to the store is a horrible experience! The girls working there rarely take anything that you bring in and are very snooty about it. When they do purchase items of yours they give you very little for the items. They purchased a $60 prom dress from me for $8! Many times they will claim that your items were "too worn" or showed signs of stains when that isn't the case. I have taken in items with original tags still attached and items without tags that have never been worn or only worn a few times for the girls in the store to turn the items down and give me the above reasons for not taking them. Looking at some of the items they are selling in the store you are left wondering why they wouldn't buy your clothing because some items in the store are out of season or style, have holes or tears in them (as I stated above that I have bought), and almost all the shoes are ragged and worn.

I give this store a neutral rating because I enjoy buying clothes there because many of the items are in brand new (with original store tags still attached) or like new condition and almost all clothes are name brand and very cheap but, as I've stated before, the girls in the store are very snooty about picking through clothes and some of the clothes and shoes that are being sold in the store isn't worth your time in purchasing due to them being out of date or season, have holes or tears in them, or being overly priced. Not to mention the items are priced at double, if not more, than what the store paid for them (I got $8 for my prom dress only to find it on shelves the next week being sold for $40). The return policy for the store is also not a very good one and there really isn't any clear order of how much they give people for their clothes - they just give you what they feel like.

Review about: Bad Customer Service.

Comments

Rude Staff

Style Exchange is a great store to shop at and sell your clothes to.The only reason you get paid less than a normal CONSIGNMENT store is because they don't wait until the clothes sell to pay you for them.

STYLE EXCHANGE IS A CLOTHING RESELL STORE NOT CONSIGNMENT.Kind of like Platos Closet but waaaaaaay more organized. A consignment store would wait until the end of the month or longer to wait for your clothes to sell.

Plus there are brand name clothes they've paid people for months ago that are still sitting on the shelves.It's all a risk for them and they have bills to pay and employees to pay just like any other small business.

to Karlie #830852

Style exchange is a resale shop and they pay you for your items but as I have encountered the business will pick through the items and pay you next to nothing!I didn't go back same day for my things so they decided to keep what they wanted and informed me the next day that I could only have store credit and the rest of my things were going to be "donated".

I only received $7.95 store credit and I know that a brand new pair of VS yoga pant and 2 other items should have been more money! Plus store credit is at 15% more than cash. What business takes your things and tells you what you will get? And I was not asked if I excepted the offer!

No receipt was ever given to me either.BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES!

hmprincess9009

Thanks for telling me about Worn Yesterday. I will have to check them out for sure!

I have to say I agree about the customer service you receive there.The girls look at you when you walk in as if your not good enough to be shopping there.

I took my things here a couple of months ago. I had clothing with the tags on them as well. They picked over my stuff, and wanted 1 shirt for $2.00. It was a Hollister shirt with the tags still attached and they sell those for $12-$14.

I had a friend take in my same items the next week, and they took just about everything I had. For this reason, I will not shop here. I have found a different consignment store in Conover. They are similar to Style Exchange as in they have gently used, name brand clothing.

However, they do not have the same attitude at them. They are always friendly, and try to help you in any way possible. They also pay cash for gently used clothing. It's called Worn Yesterday.

I took some items here. They took almost everything I had and paid alot more than Style Exchange.

They are smaller, but the quality is 100% better hands down.This is my new spot.

View more comments